a website for the descendants of william jefferies
Welcome, Guest  -  Log In


Start Slide Show   

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 72» Next»

Marvin Chester Jefferies autobiography

My Personal History
by Marvin Chester Jefferies

While I was living in Grantsville, where I was born on October 22, 1918, I remember living at Fredrickson Place across from Brown's on Main St. I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. Dad told me if I would lay on the bed by Donaldine, until she went to sleep, he would take me uptown to see the show.

I seemed to remember when I was 6 years old, riding with a load of furniture when we moved to Salt Lake. I really can't remember if it was a truck or a wagon. Maybe a 1924 truck.

I went to Oquirrh School and Webster school when I first moved to Salt Lake. My teacher made me write with my right hand.

I remember my Dad ran a small store on South Salt Lake on State Street near the Murray Laundry. I would go out there on the Street Car. I remember how at lunch time I would get behind the door so as to keep from being tromped on by the noon rush.

I remember while living on Windsor Street that a boy friend and I broke a window in the door of a house near by.

When we moved to 266 1/2 East Broadway, I remember Christmas and I saw my Christmas Present in the closet, a Red Wagon, and then I knew about Santa Claus for the first time. I was really disappointed. I would have been about 9 years old at that time.

I remember coming home from school with a friend and our doors were locked and so we got a ladder and put it up to the bathroom window and climbed in to get my swim suit to go swimming. When we went to climb down, we were met by the police. One of the neighbors had seen us and had called them. Boy, was I scared.

When we lived on Collett Court I remember Dad was working either for the City or the Street Car Co. helping to take out the tracks on 5th South. Mom would send me with his lunch and I would usually stay with him while he ate it on someone's lawn. He ran a Jack-hammer. It was awful noisy and heavy. All the houses on the court were hooked together and all looked alike. One of our neighbors, Glen Cox, came home from work one day and went in the house and put his lunch box on the table before he found out he was in the wrong house. Glen and Lola Cox and our family were very good friends after that and we didn't even know them before that happened.

We moved to 272 East 6th South and I remember one of the Simon's boys was always picking on me. I would run home and Donaldine would stay and fight my battles. One day when I was crying to mom, she said, "if you will go back and fight him I will give you a quarter," so I went to battle crying all the time, but I got my quarter.

I remember coming back to Grantsville every summer, staying mostly with Tom and Glen Rydalch, across the street from Grandpa Flinders'. Grandpa would take me to Grantsville in his car very soon after school was out. He usually bought me a new shirt and a pair of Levi's. I would stay the first day or two with Grandpa and Grandma then head for Rydalch's. I helped them with chores all the time also tromped hay during hay time.

Once we had a rodeo and parade and fixed up a kid's wagon with crates on it and put cats in the crates for wild animals. We had foot races and we caught a couple of small calves. We put Clyde Jefferies (Slimey), on the calves, he was younger than we were and he wasn't afraid of anything and didn't mind getting bucked off. We also had a four wheel old buggy, no top on it and we would hitch up old Leanis and pile the kids on and all go out to the warm springs for swimming. The Warm Springs was North of Grantsville. The buggy had wooden spokes and a metal rim on the wheels and every once in a while, a rim would come off and we would have to stop and find some wire, usually off of someone's fence, to wire it back on.

When Glen and I were in a hurry to get to the show house and he had to milk, he would get on one side of the cow and me on the other side and we would each grab two and get it over with quick.

Sometimes I would go with Uncle Earl to the dry farm and if they were thrashing wheat, we would have to haul it to Grantsville in a wagon, maybe 15 miles. We would sing or play pranks. Usually there would be two men and two or three boys riding the load. We also had a steep place to come down with the load and we would tie a back wheel so it would hold the load back so it wouldn't run over the horses, and we also used the brake.

We had two Maple Trees on the front lawn at 461 Williams Avenue and soon after we moved there I climbed up the tree and carved my initials and also the date, 1929. I was 11 years old.

I remember when Bob was born, we came home from school and the doctor was still there. He held Bob on one arm to show him to us. I think they had just washed him off. All of us kids were born at home.

At Liberty School I had Miss Jensen, Miss Losee, Miss Nebeker and Miss Muir. Some of my friends were Wilson Jones, Jimmy Kenning, Richard Pugmire, Russell Pugmire, Milton Weilemann (Slooey), Lawrence (Pete) Mozley, Virgil Smith, Douglas Smith, LaMar Felt and Bill Heil.

I went to Sumner School in the 7th Grade and while there, me and another nigger danced the "Charleston" at the City and County Building. I made friends with Earl Davis while going to Sumner that year.

When I was at Roosevelt Jr. High, we had an Earthquake. I was sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast and I could see the light fixture in the dining room swaying back and forth. We had some people move in behind us on James Court, that had moved from California to get away from the Earthquakes there, and they all ran out into the field in their night clothes.

I went to Religion Class and the teacher was Mrs. Manwaring. We had a big outing in Holliday, when it was considered out in the country, and we had corn on the cob and watermelon bust. It was Wilson Jones who was responsible for keeping me active in church, Aaronic Priesthood through Elder.

We had an M.I.A. Outing up Emigration Canyon. Freckles McGee and I were tied for a Freckle contest. They had us take off our shirts and I won a box of Cherry Chocolates. I was very active in Scouts at Liberty Ward. My Scout Master was Mac Woolley, who later turned out to be an Uncle of Charley Mann, who is a good friend of ours since living in Nyssa, Oregon. Mel Cayton was Mac Woolley's Assistant. We had a Scout Banquet on Washington's Birthday at Liberty Ward and my dad came with me.

Most of John and Bob's friends thought that I was their Dad. We had several housekeepers, Doris Bills and Iola Cooper. I can't remember the names of the others. Most of the housekeepers had Donaldine and me wash the dishes, but it seemed like when it was time to do them that Donaldine would have to go to the bathroom and I would end up doing them. Anyway, it seemed like this, but most of the time we would take turns washing and drying. One night we had a sitter and we were in the kitchen sitting up to the table and I started to thump my toe and I said "Listen, I can hear something, what is it?" I had the sitter and Donaldine so scared that the sitter wet her pants. They were really mad when I told them it was me.

I sold Liberty Magazines, door to door for 5 cents and received 1 cent for each one I sold.

I pushed a cart around Liberty Park and had to stay outside the park. I went around on the sidewalk across the street. It was heavy to push and hard to get up and down over the curbs. I sold Milk Nickles, Ice Cream Sandwiches and Eskimo Pies and Popcicles for 5 cents each. I would get 1 cent for each one sold. When I would sell five I could eat one. The company was the National Ice Cream Co. located at 2nd East and 8th South and I worked for a Mr. Croom.

I remember a few teachers at East High School. There was Jorgensen who taught English, Osmond also taught English and I had Oswald for Physical Ed. and a Gretta Croft for History, she looked like Blanche. While still in High School I worked in Uncle Lewis Flinders' Service Station, about 12th South on State Street, on the west side of the Street.

First job after graduation, I went to work for Snyder Mines, Inc. in their machine shop as an apprentice. It was on South Temple between West Temple and 2nd West. I worked there about a year then the miners went on strike so I went to find another job. Mother heard about a job that was available at a company that was in the Inter-Urban Building, by the name of Monroe & Crissell. I went to see about the job and talked to Wendell Monroe. He said they needed a man to make deliveries and unload carloads of equipment and supplies, but he thought I was too small to do the work. I weighed 135 lbs. I told him I would be able to do the work and would he give me a try. He said okay, we will give you a chance and the pay is 35 cents per hour. Well, I kept the job from 1937 to the end of 1948. I went from Shipping Clerk, Serviceman and Mechanic, Order Clerk, Salesman to Manager.

Blanche got a job as secretary at Monroe & Crissell before we were married and when we told them we were going to get married, Monroe raised my pay from $75.00 to $100.00 a month. The gang at Monroe & Crissell gave us a Sunbeam Automatic Toaster for a wedding present and we are still using it.

We first lived in a little house next door to Blanche's folks and this is where Bill was born. We next bought a house on 17th East just off 21st South. We built a patio out back and James, Donaldine and Blanche and I and the kids all went to the mountains to get Flag Stone. We just happened on a quarry that had the stones all stacked up so we just helped ourselves and really built a nice patio. However, we all found lots of ticks on us when we arrived home and even after we had washed and ironed our clothes we still found them. Mike was born while we were at this home. We moved to Nyssa, Oregon on October 31, 1948.

Marvin Chester Jefferies autobiography

File name  JefferiesMarvinC1918-Autobiography.txt.png 
File Size  2.11k 
ID  401 
Dimensions  48 x 48 
Linked to  Marvin Chester Jefferies 

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 72» Next»