williamjefferieswebsite
a website for the descendants of william jefferies
Welcome, Guest  -  Log In
Search:   
William Jefferies Birthplace - Coleford, Somerset, England  William Jefferies Birthplace - Coleford, Somerset, England
By Chris LeMaure Jefferies The following photographs are of the Coleford, Somerset, England area which is the birthplace of William Jefferies, his siblings, and his parents.

Matches 1 to 33 of 33     » Thumbnails Only    

   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
1
Coleford and Kilmersdon Map
Coleford and Kilmersdon Map
Modern map showing locations of Kilmersdon and Coleford within England. 
 
2
Kilmersdon, England Map 1881
Kilmersdon, England Map 1881
1881 map of Kilmersdon. Note location of the Kilmersdon parish church dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. 
 
3
Kilmersdon, England
Kilmersdon, England
View of Kilmersdon in which parish church is prominent. The settlement of Coleford where the Jefferies lived is about 3 1/2 miles to the south (to the right in the photo). 
 
4
Kilmersdon Parish Church
Kilmersdon Parish Church
Kilmersdon parish church. Central part dates from 1300s. The Jefferies name did not appear until late 1700s (1795). There appears to be no Jefferies in grave yard. 
 
5
Kilmersdon Parish Church Interior
Kilmersdon Parish Church Interior
Kilmersdon parish church interior, looking down the length of original part. This is where William's grandparents, George Jefferies and Elizabeth Clark, were married in 1793, and where William's parents, William Jefferies and Lita Flower, were married in 1826. 
 
6
Kilmersdon Parish Church Baptistry
Kilmersdon Parish Church Baptistry
Kilmersdon parish church baptistry, just inside doorway, still under the tower. Law required all marriages and christenings take place in a church, so this is where several Jefferies were baptized, including William and his siblings, as well as William's father and his siblings. The ledger book contained their names. 
 
7
Kilmersdon Parish Church Addition
Kilmersdon Parish Church Addition
Kilmersdon parish church interior, looking toward post-medieval addition. 
 
8
Kilmersdon Parish Church Window
Kilmersdon Parish Church Window
Kilmersdon parish church interior, window at end of church, opposite tower end. 
 
9
Kilmersdon Parish Church Plaque
Kilmersdon Parish Church Plaque
Kilmersdon parish church plaque, note earliest date, 1331.  
 
10
George Jefferies and Elizabeth Clark marriage record
George Jefferies and Elizabeth Clark marriage record
George Jefferis of this Parish and Elizabeth Clark of this Parish were Married in this Church by Bann this 5th Day of Jan in the Year One Thousand Seven Hundred and 93 By me Hyman Curate

This Marriage was solemnized between Us { George Jefferis, Elizabeth Clark

In the Presence of } John Chivers, Martha Matthews

No. 85  
 
11
William Jefferies and Lita Flower marriage record
William Jefferies and Lita Flower marriage record
William Jefferies of this Parish a Bachelor and Lita Flower of this Parish a Spinster were married in this church by Banns this fifteenth Day of May in the Year One thousand eight hundred and twenty six By me Wm Edward Curator.

This Marriage was solemnized between us { William Jefferies, Lita Flower

In the Presence of { Mary Ann Jefferies,… 
 
12
Coleford, England Map 1881
Coleford, England Map 1881
1881 map of Coleford. Note locations of the mill, pub (King's Head Inn), Methodist church, school, Church of England (Holy Trinity Church), and Goodeaves Farm.  
 
13
Coleford, England
Coleford, England
View of Coleford from opposite side of valley in which it is located. A stream runs through center of valley, hence the term 'ford' in Coleford. Until the late 1700's, Coleford was only a settlement without a church. Goodeaves Farm is located on top of the ridge in the background to the right. The Methodist church is the large building in the… 
 
14
Coleford Mill
Coleford Mill
Coleford mill, no doubt one of the original structures in the community - if not the oldest. Architecture suggests it was built in the late 1600's to early 1700's. 
 
15
Coleford Mill Race
Coleford Mill Race
Rear of Coleford mill, showing race. Water comes from left, flows right to mill, then make a 90 degree right turn down this race that flows into stream through the valley.  
 
16
Coleford's Pub, the King's Head Inn
Coleford's Pub, the King's Head Inn
The building on the right is Coleford's pub, the King's Head Inn. It was rebuit after a fire in 1830. This is the lower part of Coleford, where buildings are the oldest, dating from the mid to late 1700's. William's uncle John was publican of this pub until about 1861. 
 
17
Coleford Street Scene
Coleford Street Scene
Coleford street scene, looking down towards oldest buildings. The pub is just beyond the houses, on the left side of the street.  
 
18
Coloford Street Scene
Coloford Street Scene
Another Coleford street scene, looking up towards later part of town. The churches are up this way. 
 
19
Coleford Wesleyan Methodist Church
Coleford Wesleyan Methodist Church
The Wesleyan Methodist church in Coleford is the large building in the background. It was built in the mid 1860's after William emigrated to America. The smaller building in the foreground is the Methodist sunday school. 
 
20
Coleford Methodist Sunday School
Coleford Methodist Sunday School
The Methodist sunday school in Coleford, which is now a private residence. Directly beyond it is an overgrown grave yard where William's mother, Lita, was buried, but there remains no evidence that any members of the Jefferies family are buried there. 
 
21
Coleford Methodist Sunday School Door
Coleford Methodist Sunday School Door
The door of the Methodist sunday school with the inscription above "THE OLD SUNDAY SCHOOL 1843". It was here where William received his early religious instruction as he and his family attended meetings.  
 
22
Coleford School
Coleford School
Several hundred yards up the street from the Methodist church stands the Coleford school room. William identifies this as one of several schools he attended before his 10th birthday. Sign near door reads "Coleford Scout Group". It is not clear if this is the original building, or if it was rebuilt on the original site. 
 
23
Coleford School Plaque
Coleford School Plaque
A plaque on the outside wall of the Coleford school room. Text as follows:

COLEFORD SCHOOL ROOM
A. D. 1831 (or 1834)
GLORY TO GOD
GOODWILL TOWARDS MEN 
 
24
Coleford Parish Church
Coleford Parish Church
The Coleford parish church lies across the street from the Coleford school room. It was built in 1831 on a slight hill.  
 
25
Coleford Parish Church Interior
Coleford Parish Church Interior
The interior of the Coleford parish church. William's grandfather, George Jefferies, attended here.  
 
26
Coleford Parish Church Marker
Coleford Parish Church Marker
A marker on the wall inside the Coleford parish church. Note construction year of 1831.  
 
27
Coleford Parish Church
Coleford Parish Church
Rear view of Coleford parish church. The Jefferies tombstone is the center stone near the church, below the window on the left.  
 
28
Coleford Parish Church, Jefferies Burial Plot
Coleford Parish Church, Jefferies Burial Plot
The Jefferies family burial plot at the Coleford parish church. The large stone marks the head of the grave, and the small stone marks the foot of the grave.  
 
29
Jefferies Burial Plot Headstone
Jefferies Burial Plot Headstone
Closeup of Jefferies family burial plot headstone. Inscription is partially destroyed, but what text is left is as follows:

Sacred
To the memory of
Elizabeth, wife of George Jefferies who died Nov 17, 1844 aged 71 years
also the above George Jeffer-- Died Jan 6, 18-- aged 79 years
also Ann, 2nd -- of John Jeffe-- Died Jan 28, -- aged 48… 
 
30
Jefferies Burial Plot Footstone
Jefferies Burial Plot Footstone
Closeup of Jefferies family burial plot footstone, with headstone in the background. The footstone contains the initials of those buried there: William's grandparents William and Elizabeth, his aunt Ann, and three cousins, Frederick, John and William. The headstone is basically that of the family of John Jefferies. His parents George and… 
 
31
Goodeaves Farm
Goodeaves Farm
Site of Goodeaves farm, where William was born. Fir tree in center was likely next to the farm house.  
 
32
Goodeaves Close Sign
Goodeaves Close Sign
Sign showing name of subdivision that is now at the site of Goodeaves farm. The subdivision was built around 1970.  
 
33
Goodeaves Farm Tree
Goodeaves Farm Tree
Tree on Goodeaves farm that was probably near the farm house.